Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Slow Down and Sing

It's Christmastime! Woo-hoo!!! Since I was a child, I have loved this time of the year. All the colors, all the smells, all the reindeer, all the Christmas specials on TV and all the Christmas cheer out there just makes it an awesome time of the year. As an adult I love to play back the memories in my mind and in my heart of those wonderful Christmases when I was a child. I do remember that Christmas was hard sometimes and that the gifts were few, but as I remember, I remember the wonderful spirit of Christmas. The excitement of just being with family as we would gather to eat Christmas dinner. All the siblings, cousins, uncles and aunts, grandparents, and plenty of friends. We could hardly wait for Christmas eve to come for we knew that we would be together for Christmas eve to celebrate Christmas as a family. There was no fighting that night, no tempers flaring, nobody sad. Even siblings were at peace. All were joyous and happy and full of life! Even grandparents were giddy with Christmas spirit. It was a totally wonderful time for all. It was as if everyone was sprinkled with youthfulness again. Smiles, laughter, and fun characterized these times. Christmas songs filled the air! Whether by way of radio, records, or someone singing a capella Christmas music was being sung! Whether it was Jingle Bells, Deck the Halls, or Silent Night, a song was being sung!

What a wonderful thing now many years later. Those same songs being played or sung today can bring back a memory, a warm feeling, a smile, and at times, even a tear or two. It is amazing that at 44 years of age, I catch myself singing "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" out loud ... when I am all alone or in a crowd. I can be walking down the grocery isle and break out singing, 'I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know'. Bystanders turn and look at me and smile or raise a curious eyebrow while some have joined in the singing. I love it!

Even so, I see so many running here, flying there, trying to get this or do that with the worst look on their face. Hurrying here and hurrying there. Rush, Rush, Rush! I can't stand it. It's not the Christmas that I knew or want to know. I want to tell them to slow down or Christmas will be here and gone before they know it. Slow down and enjoy this wonderful time of year. Make some memories and remember some as well. Turn on some Christmas music and sing along and relax in the moment. Christmases come and go and if we are not careful we might miss this wonderful time of year. Time doesn't slow down for anyone and keeps marching on! So what to do? What should we do at Christmastime? Slow down and sing with childlike passion a Christmas song and then another and then another and then ... !

No comments:

Post a Comment